- Aliza (ah-lee-ZAH, Hebrew)--"joyful"
- Isabeau (ee-sah-BOH, French)--Archaic variant of Isabel/Elizabeth.
- Isadora (iz-ah-DOH-rah, English)--from Greek, "gift of Isis". Also spelled Isidora.
- Isaura (ee-SOW-rah, Spanish)
- Iscah (IS-kah, Hebrew)--original form of Jessica
- Iseul (ee-sul, Korean)--"dew"
- Isis (EYE-sis, Greek)--from Egyptian. Egyptian goddess of nature and the sky. Also written as Iset.
- Iskra (EES-krah, Slavic)--"spark"
- Ismene (is-MAY-nee, Greek)--"knowledge"
- Isolde (ee-ZOL-deh, English)--from Celtic, meaning uncertain. Variants include Isotta & Iseult.
- Isra (IS-rah, Arabic)
- Izar (ee-sar [r is trilled/rolled], Basque)--"star"
- Izdihar (is-dee-HAR, Arabic)--"blossoming"
- Izumi (ee-zoo-mee, Japanese)--"fountain"
- Mizuki (mee-zoo-kee, Japanese)
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Usual Nickname, Unexpected Name--Izzy
Combined, Isabella & Isabelle are easily the most popular girls' name. Chances are many were named to get that to that cool Bella, but just as many likely go by Izzy (to preemptively avoid Bella).