Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Personal Lists

It was recently suggested that I do a post on names we're considering for #3, due in November. I waffled for a bit, because I do try to make this blog fairly factual & bias-free...which of course, it's really not, since I generally don't concede any page-space to the big modern trends (surnames, boy-names for girls, randomlyn & randomlee names, etc). But, I've decided to do it, partially because I do like hearing others' thoughts, and partially to get my own thoughts in order.

Obviously, I like a lot of names, so I'll have to divide my 'beloved names' list into 3 subsections, and limit each to 5 per gender.

1. Names I'd use if I could disregard my last name. There are definitely times I wish I'd kept my maiden name (I took my husband's because mine was constantly mispronounced & misspelled--despite being 4 letters and English). While I do appreciate having a very recognizable surname, it presents several problems--it's one-syllable, a homophone for a couple common English words, and really doesn't work with anything R-heavy or with a long I. And yes, anyone who feels like Googling common surnames can probably figure it out based on these limitations. :p

  • Caius
  • Oliver
  • Leander
  • Rhys
  • Rory

  • Annora
  • Blythe
  • Lavender
  • Mercy
  • Vesper

2. Names I'd use if my husband was totally apathetic. He's not--which is of course, a good thing; especially since he does have pretty good taste in names--he's just not quite as adventurous as I am. Admittedly, that's also probably a good thing, because the world is not made up of name-nerds, and most people don't go all googly-eyed over obscure & unusual names.
  • Alexis
  • Aloysius
  • Clement
  • Duncan
  • Kelly

  • Clarity
  • Elspeth
  • Ffion
  • Glynis
  • Saskia

3. Names that we might actually end up using. Because I really do like most names, we agreed on a few rules to keep the playing field narrow: Names must be uncommon, but "known" (his main rule); names must not have more than 2 or 3 accepted spellings (my main rule); names must have some connection to our heritage; names must not be too similar or too contrasting with our older kids' names (Jonas & Bridget); and names must be usable for any age or career path.
And, of course, we do both have to like the name. ;)
  • Ansel
  • August
  • Callum
  • Malcolm
  • Morgan

  • Carmen
  • Laurel
  • Margot
  • Matilda
  • Penelope

So, I hope that satisfied your curiosity! Currently, there's a list of about 40 names sitting on my husband's desk. He's supposed to look it over, cross off names he doesn't like, and add suggestions of his own. It'll probably take 'til Thanksgiving to get this kid named. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Love your boys names especially. Isn't it funny how much work it takes to come to an agreement on names? If I were a single mum I'd probably have a Malachi, Thalia, and and Enoch. Instead, I have Aidan, Cora, and Alexander. :)

    ReplyDelete